About Me

My photo
I haven't run a PR on the track in over 9 years. I haven't even run the Steeplechase since 2008. I've been told I should retire, I should "Hang up the spikes" I'm "too old", but HOW??? I love to run! I love to race! I KNOW I've got more! The Flame Within burns hot and bright, and until it fades, there will be no sleep for this weary soul.

Friday, January 8, 2010

ChornyRuns! this Saturday

RACING

IT'S OFFICIAL! I'm racing the Mile this weekend at Indiana's first Indoor Track Meet of the season. I am so nervous. I have no idea what to expect. It's one thing to go into a race knowing that you're ready, and quite another to go in blind. I plan to race 4-5 times during the indoor season, so look for more updates.

TRAINING

Since I wrote last, I've been dealing with some Achilles Tendon inflammation. This has actually been nagging me since October, and I'd really like to be done with it.

Here's my weekly mileage since July: (*signifies a day off.)

-----------------------------------

July: 53, 50, 50, 60
August: 62, 61, 50, 52, 60
Sept: 60, 60, 63, 60
Oct: 70, 55*, 67, 70, 72
Nov: 70, 53*, 70, 60*
Dec: 45*, 30***, 48*, 51*, 50
Jan:
-----------------------------------

So, as you can see, I've trailed off a bit in December, trying to get my Achilles better. Some days it feels better, but then others it's still pretty bad. I've already started to introduce steeple drills and those feel great, very smooth. My speed is decent, Lactate Threshold is coming close to solid, not as good as it's been before. VO2Max is where I haven't done a ton of work yet, and that's why I don't know what to expect on the track tomorrow.


WORKOUTS

Best workouts lately:

1) 6mile cut down tempo 5:31/5:12/5:14/5:08/5:04/5:05 = 31:19 it was cold.
2) 16x200m goal 30 with (30sec) rest. I averaged 30.5 and (32.7) After the first couple, I thought there was no way that I could finish 16 straight on that rest, but half way through, I found the resolve to challenge myself, and I made it through. just fine. It hurt, but I was fine.
3) 8x800m (60) = 2:21(55) 2:20(55) 2:20(55)2:20(55) 2:20(60) 2:21(60) 2:19(60) 2:18

COACHING

The steeplers and I have started to do steeple sessions, and I think there is a lot of potential for our group. I am working with 5 guys and 8 girls. I have 3 guys who are looking great and they are great examples for the others to follow. My top girl was 7th at the NCAA champs last year and is getting faster and faster. 2 other girls have experience but still need some work, and the rest of them are rookies who will benefit by watching the veterans.

Right now we are doing 'side drills' and won't be over the top until Feb. March will be here before we know it, so Steeple season is on the horizon.

Nutrition

Many of you know that I'm quite passionate about nutrition so I'll add some tips and hints and advice that may improve the quality of your life, because if you don't have your health, what do you have?


Vitamins D: From Oregon State University, "vitamin D is now seen as one of the most critical nutrients for overall health." Read the article HERE.

USANA has always recognized Vitamin D as an important nutrient; consider our Vitamin D for your seasonal health during these winter months.




Thanks for Reading. -Tom-
Independent Usana Distributor
chorny@usana.com
231-578-8888

Athletes and USANA
Nutritionals you can Trust
Rev3 Energy Drink, Cleaner, Smarter, Stronger

No comments:

Post a Comment