About Me

My photo
I haven't run a PR on the track in over 9 years. I haven't even run the Steeplechase since 2008. I've been told I should retire, I should "Hang up the spikes" I'm "too old", but HOW??? I love to run! I love to race! I KNOW I've got more! The Flame Within burns hot and bright, and until it fades, there will be no sleep for this weary soul.

Monday, February 1, 2010

ChornyRuns! like a rabbit!


This past weekend turned into a great and historical meet for IU. Complete Results here.

IU Men:
Andy Bayer, a redshirt Freshman ran sub 4 in the mile, clocking in at 3:58.89. DeSean Turner, although he was last (9th) in the race, clocked in at 4:02.68... as a season opener in the mile, not too bad. Look for some great results in the future from Turner. (Yoshi Shimizu 4:21, Dan Kinn 4:21)

On Saturday, Andy Bayer and DeSean Turner were gracious enough to pace Andrew Poore in the 5K. Clocking 4:28 at the mile and 8:57 at two miles, Poore closed with a 4:17 and finished in a 13:48.88, only 1.88 seconds away from an Automatic qualifier to the NCAA finals. Tim McLeod 14:18, Zach Mayhew 14:20.

The 3K was pretty solid too. Cole Hardacher 8:16, Andy Weatherford 8:16, Jacob Laird 8:19, Nate Morrow 8:21 (Andrew Ramos 8:40)

Danny Stockberger won the men's 800m in 1:51.96, while Freshman Joe Holohan was 2nd in 1:52.16.

IU Women:
The women's mile didn't disappoint. The IU women had the top three spots and all were an NCAA Provisional time. Molly Beckwith 4:43.44 , Chelsea Blanchard 4:45.87, and Wendi Robinson 4:45.88.

Sarah Pease won the women's 3K clocking 9:32.44 only a couple seconds away from a provisional mark.

And Helene Delone won the 5K in 17:41, and Jenny Kulow was 3rd in 17:51

Lindsay Hartman won the 800m in 2:10.68 with Ashley Baker 4th in 2:11.81
THE BEST
Perhaps the highlight of the meet was ME rabbiting the 3K, and you can watch that here: Video
It is interesting for me to watch this because it seems like I'm running a lot different than I have in the past. ( Anybody else think it looks different?) I've really focused on shortening my stride and increasing my stride rate this past 6 months and it seems to have taken. In theory, this should help me be more efficient... we'll see what the outdoor season brings.

6 comments:

  1. it looks different because you are older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and yet it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hate to agree with anonymous arsehole there, but your PRs are almost 10 years old, dude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stride does look a little different, and not because you're older ;-\ but I can tell that you've shortened it a bit. Is that good for efficiency? It also makes your running stance (is that a word?) look a little wider, is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I know what you mean 'stance' wise. It is supposed to be more efficient. It is definitely not a result of being older. It's the result of actively taking steps to change it. I was just surprised at HOW different it looks compared to what I remember it looking like only a couple years ago.

    One of my biggest goals is to take down some of my PRs in the next couple years. How great would that be to run a PR almost 10 years later. My turnover is better than ever, threshold is coming along very nicely, and now I just have to be patient and keep working the VO2 component.

    ReplyDelete